Friday, June 27, 2008

The Grip

On my run today, I ran into a "sister."  She was wearing a Theta shirt, so I asked her if she was a theta.  She said yes, but that it was a long time ago.  I said, yeah me too.  Then we stood there.  It was awkward.  A few seconds later, I ran off.  I should have slipped her the grip!  Unfortunately, I'm not actually sure I know the grip.  

The grip is like a secret handshake, not something inappropriate or likely to amount to a battery - which is a harmful or offensive touching.  It is an intentional tort.  But you know what it is not?  A specific intent crime!  The specific intent crimes are 1st degree murder, solicitation, attempt, conspiracy, forgery, false pretenses, assault, burglary, larceny, embezzlement and robbery.  You know who I have to thank for that little bit of brilliance?  Natasha Ng and her genius idea to make slightly dirty mnemonic devices.  This one is 1st sac ffabler or "testicle story."  Seriously, I don't know where I would be without her.  

Tomorrow is the first day of the track and field trials, and hopefully tomorrow Nike, who has taken over the law school, will actually supply us with the promised donuts.  Nike is using the law school as a hang out for all the athletes prior to their events, as well as a place to showcase its products.  This would all be really cool if it wasn't for the fact that we are physically barred from actually seeing any of it.  The commons has been entirely cordoned off with paneling and curtains so that you can't even peer down from the upper floors.  I'm not really sure why Nike feels the need to subvert my ultimate goal of landing a track star, but its really not cool.  Especially if I'm not going to get any donuts.

3 comments:

zandra said...

i remember the grip! turns out i am a way better sister than you are. plus i'm pretty sure the name of our secret handshake is also a secret. nationals is so gonna come after you now.

p.s. i seem to be leaving comments on all of your posts. does that make me your internet stalker?

Megan said...

Um, that is the most brilliant mneumonic ever. Give me more.

Natasha said...

Aww Abra, that was sweet. I'll think of one more dirty mneumonic today. Just for you. It's hard to get in that mindset when you are chaste.